"pumpernickel court"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Sep 27 17:05:29 UTC 2011

Sorry for your confusion, Dan.  I did not know
who invented the dukedom, Carlyle or Thackery,
which is why I mentioned their names -- so those
familiar with the duchy could inform me whether
they used the phrase "pumpernickel court"
metaphorically or merely as "the court at
Pumpernickel", where "pumpernickel" would just be
a place-name, albeit fictional, and thus probably not eligible for the OED.

I too did not find the phrase "pumpernickel
court" in Vanity Fair, or in Carlyle, although
GBooks perhaps doesn't have the work in which Carlyle used it.

What I am suggesting is that in 1914, in
Crawford's book, the phrase has become
metaphorical, and thus perhaps eligible for the
OED.  (And Cobban's 1894 use, while still a
place-name, is at least not Carlyle or Thackery.)

Joel