fun with phrases

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Sep 28 18:55:53 UTC 2011

        The 1962 quote is out of a different tradition:  the superstition that cats somehow can suck the breath from babies, killing them (see, e.g., http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/catsuck.asp) - I was actually warned about this when my daughter was a newborn.  However, that superstition does not hold that a cat can suck all the air out of the room, so the 1962 quote apparently was influenced by the metaphorical phrase.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:43 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: fun with phrases

"Suck all the air out of the room."

Various nuances, a recent cable news fave.

1948 _American Mangazine_ CXLVI 124 [GB: not verified, looks real]: The
indistinct figure disappeared. Its going seemed to suck all the air out of
the room.

Hiatus.

1962 in Newbell Niles Puckett et al. _Popular Beliefs and Superstitions_ I
(Boston: G. K. Hall, 1981) 159 [GB]: If a cat sleeps in a baby's room, it
will suck all the air out of the room and kill the baby.

Hiatus.

1985 Andrew Ward _The Blood Seed_ (N.Y.: Viking) 445 [GB snippet]: It may
have only been the servants who crowded in with him in Perks's laboratory,
but Rai Singh seemed to *suck all the air out of the room* as he glided
about, and I would still have to say that he was the most beautiful human
being....

Hiatus, except for a 1989 ref. to a belief that a broken TV picture tube
will do it.

Popularity, as a fig. expression, begins in 1996.

JL