minimis, minimus = 'minimum,' 'minimal'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 29 01:15:55 UTC 2011

Conceivably Graham said "to the de minimus," or even "to de minimis," but it
still effectively meant "to the minimum."

That's not to say he can't use the phrase correctly in other contexts.

As for pronunciation, both Graham and Bloomberg used a shwa, or so it
sounded to me. Hence the spelling "minimus."  OED doesn't note the shwa even
as a US variation.

Also, the putatively (though not definitively) hasty identification of all
three as Republicans   (and only Rogers's party affiliation is open to
question) is justified by the opportunity presented to use "confudiation."

JL