usage ridicule

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Apr 1 13:38:13 UTC 2012

I like one quotation from H in the Grub-street Journal of 1734 [NS]
-- ""If men will write An house, an horse, an high-lander, they ought
to read so, too. But if it be ridiculous to read so, it must be as
ridiculous to write in this manner."  80 years later Jane Austen was
writing "an house", if not also reading and saying it.

Joel