misdemeanant

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 1 16:11:05 UTC 2012

Wonder if when it's pronounced in a courtroom setting it gets secondary stress on the last syllable, the way "defendant" does on the "(d)ant", as we've discussed in prior threads.  (I would pronounce both with essentially no stress and a schwa, but it's definitely pronounced with an aesh, in the latter case at least.  Of course "misdemeanant" would come up a lot less in court than "defendant".

LH