hobo synonymous with panhandler or beggar

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 1 20:32:31 UTC 2012

Just as a reminder, "homeless person" didn't become the preferred term till
the 1980's.
HDAS shows (IIRC) that "hobo" and "bum" were frequently synonymous a
hundred years ago, and I'm not quite certain that the usage reported here
is any different.

"Hobo" song of ca1920 or before:

Old Jay Gould said before he died,
I'll fix the blinds so the bums can't ride.
And if they ride they'll ride the rods,
And trust their lives to the hands of God.

The railroad magnate Jay Gould died in 1892.

JL