hobo synonymous with panhandler or beggar (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Apr 2 17:11:28 UTC 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Robert A. Heinlein, in his novel "The Sixth Column" (serial publication
1941, book form 1949), discussed the differences:

"You were a tramp, weren't you, before the army caught up with you?"

"Not a tramp," Thomas corrected gently, "a hobo."

"Sorry - what's the distinction?"

"A tramp is a bum, a parasite, a man that won't work.  A hobo is an
itinerant laborer who prefers casual freedom to security.  He works for
his living, but he won't be tied down to one environment. . . .  I was
never a bindlestiff.  Bindlestiffs are dirty, and a self-respecting hobo
doesn't associate with them.  All I want is a good meal in my belly and
a small amount of money on my person."