"arrest" vs. "charge"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 4 00:32:32 UTC 2012

I don't have BLD in front of me, but I very rarely consult it, except
for obscure and obsolete terms. I went a bit hog wild on the distinction
and want to scale it back a bit--the "suspicion of X" wording seems to
be English, not really used in the US AFAIK.

But this does not mean that I would defer to Gardner, necessarily.
Seizure is a major Constitutional issue (like "taking") and its
definition is constantly adjusted. Since "incident to arrest" (e.g.,
search incident to arrest) hinges on definition of "arrest", adjustment
to formal definition of "arrest" are also made pretty my constantly
(although there is a clear line of defining cases). But these are
formalistic distinctions, not common speech. I generally agree with the
inclusive/exclusive distinction, but I continue to argue for multiple
levels of exclusivity. By some definitions, an "arrest" requires
processing--as Dave Wilton points out, he was asked for both "arrested"
and "detained" lists, because, under ordinary circumstances, people who
have never been processed or "entered into the system" don't need to say
that they have been arrested (on the other hand, people who have been
formally charged, with the record expunged later, may still have to
answer the question "Have you ever been arrested?" in the affirmative).
So, under some definition, it's likely Zimmerman has been arrested,
while under others he has not. His detention falls somewhere in the
middle of the exclusivity scale. I do not know, however, if he has ever
been "processed"--since his mugshot was made available, that's a strong
suggestion that he has, in which case, he most certainly has been
arrested but not charged.

I am also wondering if there is a number of levels for "being charged".
What seems to pass for "being charged" in the news is actually having
been formally indicted. Otherwise, any "moving violation" can be
described as a "charge"--oddly enough, without an arrest (but with a
brief seizure), in most cases (DUI/DWI being an exception).

Eventually we may get back to the "tomato is a fruit" line once again.

     VS-)