Simile: like *substance* through a tin horn

Wed Apr 4 17:51:17 UTC 2012

"This tin horn used as a funnel would be shoved into the mouth of an animal
and a dose of "cure" would be poured in the bell like end to slide down the
throat of the beast."

I recall an episode in a movie I saw many decades ago.  Two comedians need
to give a horse a pill.  The smart one shows the dumb one how to put the
pill in a tube and put the end of the tube in the horse's mouth.  Then the
dumb one is to put his mouth to the other end of the tube and blow.

I think you can see the mirth-provoking possibilities here.

No doubt the reason that the horn strategem was developed.

By the way -- am I wrong in remembering that the one- and two-reelers shown
in movie theaters in the good old days (along with 5 or 6 cartoons and two
feature movies, all for a quarter) were called short subjects?  The sort of
movie produced and narrated by A Smith Named Pete, for instance.
The term isn't in the OED.

GAT

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Garson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dan Goncharoff wrote:
> > Is "tin horn" just another way of saying "funnel"?
> >
> > I am thinking of the Tin Woodman's hat...
>
> Thanks for your response Dan. On the Wombats mailing list Suzanne
> Watkins offered an intriguing hypothesis consonant with your
> suggestion.
>
> [Begin excerpt from Suzanne Watkins post on Project Wombat mailing list]
>
> The tin horn has a number of manifestations in the 19th century from a
> child's obnoxious toy, a sailor's fog horn, or a nickname for cheap,
> pretentious gamblers and lawyers, but there was another use of tin
> horns from that bygone era in agrarian circles, that had a very
> practical use with animals.
>
> This tin horn used as a funnel would be shoved into the mouth of an
> animal and a dose of "cure" would be poured in the bell like end to
> slide down the throat of the beast.
>
> To give an example, in the March 1861 New England Farmer, page 150,
> was a "Remedy For Choked Cattle" that consisted of pouring a pint of
> warm lard through a tin horn down the throat of a bull who was having
> serious problem after swallowing a large potato. The end result was
> that the potato (and most likely much more) was "expelled" in about 2
> minutes after the dose was given.
>> [End excerpt]
>

> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com> wrote:
> -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: Simile: like *substance* through a tin horn

> > Is "tin horn" just another way of saying "funnel"?
> >
> > I am thinking of the Tin Woodman's hat...
> >
> > DanG
> >

> > On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Garson O'Toole <
> adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com>wrote:

> >> discussion of the phrase "like shit through a tin horn".
> >> [Begin excerpt]
> >> I used to work for a harpsichord builder who, whenever something went
> >> absolutely perfectly, would say, "like shit through a tin horn."
> >> [End excerpt]
> >>
> >> The appearance of the word "shit" in print was restricted in the past.
> >> So I think it makes sense, as a start, to gather evidence by looking
> >> for variants of the phrase in the major text databases. Here are some
> >> variants that appeared in newspapers and periodicals beginning in the
> >> 1880s. I did not try to find the earliest examples. Details are below:
> >>
> >> Main question: Why do you think a tin horn is used in this collection
> >> of similes?
> >>
> >> like butter through a tin horn
> >> like water through a tin horn
> >> like mud through a tin-horn
> >>
> >> Here is an example of "like butter through a tin horn" in 1887. A boat
> >> was grounded on a bar in a river. Eventually, a strategy was found to
> >> move the boat forward past the bar.
> >>
> >> Cite: 1887 October 09, Kansas City Times, Science in Navigation,
> >> [Acknowledgement to Mobile Register], Page 19, Column 4, Kansas City,
> [...]

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.