Lobbying and "log-rolling" in 1850 Indiana USA

Michael McKernan mckernan51 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 7 17:18:37 UTC 2012

Actually, the full quote from 1850 is:

What is the mode of obtaining a disputed claim under the present system?  Why
recourse is had to “lobying,” [sic] “log-rolling,” “oyster-suppers,” and it
is greatly to be feared, to other appliances still more reprehensible,  by
which legislators are rendered supple and pliant.

So Goranson's comment on oyster suppers is right on target.  Since my
interest in this actually IS the oyster suppers, and why they're included
in this list of political "appliances,"  I need to ask Stephen how he came
to include them (OS) in his post.

Thanks for the OED entries!  Any other comments/discussion would be welcome.

Michael McKernan
Benson, Arizona