Fwd: FW: dictionary

Salikoko Mufwene s-mufwene at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sun Apr 8 13:34:20 UTC 2012

Any lexicographer out there that can answer's this other lexicographer's
question?

Sali.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        FW: dictionary
Date:   Sun, 8 Apr 2012 08:42:01 +0100
From:   Pavle Pavlovic <ppavlovicc at hotmail.com>
To:     <s-mufwene at uchicago.edu>

Dear professor  Mufwene,
  my name is Pavle and I am currently working on a Serbian-English
dictionary. One word gives me plenty of hard times. The word "smuvati"
in Serbian - which means to "seduce". Well, this word being derived from
the word spiders, it renders the meaning which suggests of web, flea,
spiders,.
It means that seduction  is, at least at the level of suggestion,
compared with the knitting of web around a spider's victim. Is there
something similar in  English? Something that hits the meaning
colourfully!  I am being at great pains to solve it and your suggestion
would be of much help to me and my colleagues.  If there is no such word
English, perhaps some idiom might work and do the job.

Sincerely,

Pavle Pavloviæ