Lobbying and "log-rolling" in 1850 Indiana USA

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 8 15:56:00 UTC 2012

I know that an 'oyster supper' was originally a form of fundraiser, I
believe an all-you-can-eat affair with an upfront fee, but somewhere
out West, the phrase became something more nefarious, a version of the
smoke-filled room where decisions were achieved behind closed doors by
the powers-that-be.

DanG