mistress

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Apr 11 06:31:43 UTC 2012

--

I don't believe so. I suppose one can discuss at length whether the
right word in a given case/society is "[de jure or de facto] wife",

I suppose in many contexts if a man has an acknowledged mistress but no
formal/legal wife, it might be natural to consider that mistress really
a sort of wife (e.g., "common-law wife" or so) (and therefore not called
a "mistress"). But I think -- for example -- hardly anyone would say
that a man's mistress stops being his mistress automatically on the loss
of his wife (by her death or by divorce).

-- Doug Wilson