pneumonia in the lungs

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 11 23:14:26 UTC 2012

To me, the observation that "She has PNEUMONIA in the lungs" seems fairly natural, more or less equivalent to "Her lungs have pneumonia."  Similar sentences would be "She has *hepatitis* in her liver" (with destressed "in her liver") or "I have a *stye* in my eye" or "She has 5 broken *bones* in her body" (with destressing on "in her body").  Or even "I need a new *engine* and four new *tires* for my car".  None of these strike me as particularly odd.  What I would find odd is "She has pneumonia in the LUNGS."

LH