"taint", anatomical

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 13 15:16:47 UTC 2012

> "A wide variety of slang terms are commonly used for this area of the
human body..."

A typical pop pronouncement on slang, based on very little.

"Taint" is the only such synonym I've ever encountered, and in forty years
of slang collecting from every kind if source - including movies and
humans, which OED used to eschew, that happened fewer than a half dozen
times.  Has anyone here - more attentive to language than most - had a
dramatically different experience?
(It doesn't appear, for ex., in Rodgers's fantasmagoric _Queen's
Vernacular_  of 1972.)

So what are the odds that "a wide variety" of such terms are "commonly"
used? (HDAS has _choad_, but not in this sense.)

There may have been a seismic cultural shift relating to the grundle area
in the last decade or so that might not have filtered down to my level, but
I doubt it.  Interest in such synonyms undoubtedly arose in the wake of
publishing smashes like _The Sensuous Woman_, _The Joy of Sex_, and
_Letters to Penthouse_.

Jon Green etymologizes "grundle" (not in HDAS) from a 16th C. term for a
short person.

"Grundle," Gooch" and "Nifkin" are all uncommon American surnames, FWIW.

JL