scrape

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 14 23:44:47 UTC 2012

This is a fairly natural meaning of "scrape", but it seems to be missing
from the OED scrape n.1.

http://goo.gl/S0W91
> Moon Marine USA Corp. of Cupertino, Calif., also known as MMI, is
> voluntarily recalling 58,828 pounds of frozen raw yellowfin tuna. It
> was labeled as Nakaochi Scrape AA or AAA when it was sold to grocery
> stores and restaurants and is scraped off the fish bones and looks
> like a ground product.
> The product is not available for sale to individual consumers but may
> have been used to make sushi, sashimi, ceviche and similar dishes
> available in restaurants and grocery stores. Many of the people who
> became ill reported eating raw tuna in sushi as “spicy tuna,” the FDA
> said.

The category is "I. Means, act, or result of scraping", but the "result"
barely gets a mention.

> 5. A layer (of butter) scraped thin; chiefly in bread and scrape
> (colloq.).

Also 6. refers to a turpentine product of the same name. It would make
no sense to expand either entry to include the fish "scrape".
Furthermore, the term is not limited to tuna, although tuna may well be
the most expensive fish, naturally lending itself to such treatment.

Note that "scrape" here is not the trademarked product name--it's the
actual description of the content of the package.

VS-)