vegetable completist

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 15 02:42:11 UTC 2012

This is a new one for me--and I thought I was pretty much up on foodie
terminology.

http://goo.gl/33wor
> Vegetable completists who devour every edible part of the plant, from
> beet green to garlic scape, will relish the sweet-potato leaf, a
> late-summer harbinger of the iconic Thanksgiving tuber. Although
> widely consumed in West Africa, Malaysia, and the Philippines, the
> heart-shaped leaves are rarer here. But now that Greenmarket farms
> like Bodhitree have added them to their repertoires, you might be
> seeing more of them: with coconut sambal at Simpson Wong’s eponymous
> Wong, perhaps, or blanched and simply seasoned, as in this recipe from
> Takashi chef-owner Takashi Inoue, who often features them on his namul
> plate of assorted vegetables.

Two bonuses--sweet-potato leaf and "namul". Namul seems to be nothing
more than a kind of blanched greens "salad"--somewhat like the Japanese
treatment of spinach (oshitashi -- http://goo.gl/42HZF ).

VS-)