pneumonia in the lungs

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 16 00:29:43 UTC 2012

On Apr 15, 2012, at 5:18 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Dan Nussbaum <yekkey at aol.com> wrote:
>> I would like to know where else pneumonia can occur.
>
> I agree with Dan. The example isn't poetry, song, the title of a
> novel, or whatever.
>
> --
I still maintain that this argument has a flaw in it, and that the first part of this sentence is totally natural (and not intended to be sung or published).  Ditto with my earlier examples (e.g. "I have a *stye* in my eye").  You can argue that these are redundant, but they seem entirely unremarkable to me.  But then I'm sure objections are raised to "He behaved himself" (who else could he behave?) on the same grounds.

LH