"=?windows-1252?Q?=85_most_=5Ffavorite=5F_nation_clause_=85=22_?=[NT]

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 16 02:12:39 UTC 2012

Again, "most _favored_ nation status" is fairly standard for
international law. I suppose, there is a difference between "favored"
and "favorite", but I would not see much to squawk about if that was all
there was, as long as the context was OK. Over the past couple of days,
I have seen it applied very badly to the Apple e-books case--with the
idea being that Apple got privileged treatment from e-book publishers.
_That_ I find to be wrong--but, again, because it's an incorrect
interpretation of the international law phrase (MFN status within the
WTO regime does not single out countries for privileges--quite the
opposite, it's the normal status when penalties don't apply). So the
issue even here is the context, not the favored/favorite distinction. I
mean, it's certainly wrong, but not something that would get much
"passive"-style peeving.

"Tide over", on the other hand...

     VS-)