Motto: live a fast life, die young and be a beautiful corpse (Irene L. Luce 1920 August 25)

Mon Apr 16 16:15:06 UTC 2012

LH wrote:
> And then we can try verifying the quote "Nom de dieu! Que cette essence de terebenthine pique comme le diable!"

Terebenthine was mentioned in a quotation recently examined at the
Quote Investigator website. But the speaker was Oliver Wendell Holmes,
Sr. instead of Renoir, and he was presenting a cosmic secret about the
universe:

A strong smell of turpentine prevails throughout.

The fact that Holmes had just "inhaled a pretty full dose of ether"
may have influenced his judgment.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/03/31/turpentine-prevails/

Perhaps this universe was crafted by a painter who left a distinctive
odiferous trace.