sell or profit from affiliation

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 18 23:19:12 UTC 2012

On Apr 18, 2012, at 6:15 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:

> http://goo.gl/uuXNP
>> As part of her resignation, Dorrell agreed she would not attempt to
>> sell or profit from her affiliation with Razorback athletics,
>> officials said.
>
> I am not entirely sure how this serialization could work.
>
> There is also a euphemistic expression for forcing someone to resign.
>
>> "She and I believe she should have the opportunity to move on."

Not sure that's reached the proverbial status of "decided it was time to go in a different direction".  And then there's the reference to coaches and managers being dismissed because of philosophical differences, which always (well, maybe not always) makes me think that after careful deliberation, the team decided to go with a nominalist instead of a realist.

> In other, completely unrelated news, if anyone cares, the two
> etymologically productive names this year--Lin and Tebow--are on the
> Time "most influential" list. Lin wrote the Tebow piece.

> I haven't seen
> the complete list other than to note that no other interesting sports
> names appear. Other names with generative potential this year are
> Romney, Hillary Clinton and Buffett and, perhaps a stretch, Kim Jong Un.

Kimsanity?

> Of those who may generate good content, I only spotted Colbert and,
> perhaps, Anthony Kennedy.

Useful for merchandising swing sets.

LH