Quote: Genius is 1 per cent inspiration and 99 per cent perspiration (Edison 1901 May 6) (Plus earlier variants)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 19 06:40:19 UTC 2012

Without disturbing the Edison lore, there are several other paths of
precursors to consider--in addition to Sanborn.

In particular, there is a string of mentions of combination of
inspiration and perspiration leading to some sort of success (not
necessarily intellectual or "genius").

http://goo.gl/ZKAJ2
The Friend. Volume 50(9). October 7, 1876
p. 70/1
> /Inspiration or Perspiration./--No man now standing on an eminence of
> influence and power, and doing great work, has arrived at his position
> by going up in an elevator. He took the stairway step by step. He
> climbed the rocks often witb bleeding hands. He prepared himself by
> the work of climbing for the work he is doing. He never accomplished
> an inch of his elevation by standing at the foot of the stairway with
> his mouth open and longing. There is no "royul road" to anything
> good--not even to wealth. Money that has not been paid for in life is
> not wealth. It goes as it comes. There is no element of permanence in
> it. The man who reaches his money in an elevator does not know bow to
> enjoy it; so it is not wealth to him. To get a high position without
> climbing to it, to win wealth without earning it, to do fine work
> without the discipline necessary to its performance, to be famous, or
> useful, or ornamental, without preliminary cost, seems to be the
> universal desire of the young. The children would begin where their
> fathers leave off. What exactly is the secret of true success in life?
> It is to do without flinching, and with entire faithfulness, the duty
> that stands next to one. When a man has mastered the duties around him
> he is ready for those of a higher grade, and he takes naturally one
> step upward. When he has mastered the duties of the new grade, he goes
> on climbing. There are no surprises to the man who arrives at an
> eminence legitimately. It is entirely natural that he should be there,
> and he is as much at home there, and as little elated, as when he was
> working patiently at the foot of the stairs. There are heights above
> him, and he remains humble and simple.--Preachments are of little
> avail, perhaps; but when one comes into contact with so many men and
> women who put aspiration instead of perspiration, and yearning instead
> of earning, and longing for labor, he is tempted to say to them: "Stop
> looking up, and look around you! Do the work that first comes to your
> hand and do it well. Take no upward step until you come to it
> naturally, and you have the power to hold it. The top in this little
> world is not so high, and patient climbing will bring yon to it ere
> you are aware.-- /Lucknow Witness./

http://goo.gl/3OYsO
The history and records of the Elephant Club. By Edward Fitch Underhill
and Mortimer Thomson. 1856
The Colored Camp-Meeting. p. 138
> The grass might have been agreeable to look upon at a distance, but a
> close inspection showed it to be full of pismires; the stumps would
> have beeu commodious seats, if they had not been most of them
> previously appropriated by black-snakes; the sleeping places would
> have been tents, if they had not been huts, and a poetical fancy might
> have pictured them as being constructed of canvas, white as the driven
> snow, but the practical mind instantly discovered that they were made
> of oak slabs and dirty horse-blankets. Some imaginative people would
> have set down the speaking of the ministers as eloquence if not
> inspiration, but a critical individual would have found fault with the
> bad grammar, and insinuated that the inspiration was all perspiration.

Bonus--the pseudonyms of the authors are Knight Russ Ockside, M.D., and
Q[ueer]. K[ritter]. Philander Doesticks, P[erfect]. B[rick]., who are
Edward Fitch Underhill and Mortimer Thomson, respectively.

http://goo.gl/Tvg7A
Putnam Monthly. April 1855
American Orators. Rufus Choate. p. 357/1
> The client who retains this great advocate, may always be assured that
> he gets the whole of him ; blood, brains, everything -- his
> inspiration and his perspiration -- all are fully given to /him/.

There is also the opposite--favoring /inspiration/--which may well go
back at least another 100 years, into the mid-1700s. This is one of
those that were closer in time to Edison's quip.

http://goo.gl/wYDhg
Lippincott's Monthly Magazine. Volume 27. June 1881
p. 604/2
> Reformers, again, are very apt to overlook the witty reminder of the
> old preacher to the younger one of the necessity of discriminating
> bet\veen inspiration and perspiration: in other words, great zeal in
> prosecution is not a satisfactory guaranty of excellence of object. He
> might have gone further. Men are beginning to believe that great
> intensity of feeling indicates a lack of mental breadth; and, although
> we should not like to diminish any genuine earnestness of purpose in
> our excellent NewEngland reformers, we must add the truism they so
> often appear to forget, that sincerity of conviction and earnestness
> of purpose are as consistent with erroneous thinking and measures as
> with correct judgments and acts. The Mohammedans who fought the
> Crusaders were as sincere and earnest as their Christian foes.

There a few of such expressions sprinkled throughout evangelical
magazines over the 100 or so years preceding this Lippincott's piece.
The retort may well have been a familiar one from sermons. But the
sentiment is the exact opposite--when it comes to preaching,
perspiration is no indication of inspiration!

It is possible that Edison, at some point early in his life, had been
exposed to this kind of preaching. More precisely, he's been told that
inspiration comes from within. The quip published in LHJ may well have
been a reaction to this--unlike religion, when it comes to inventions,
inspiration /does/ come from perspiration. But, obviously, this is just
speculation. Certainly there have been other precursors that made a
similar point of necessity of perspiration in achieving success--and
boosting inspiration.

     VS-)