Satan in a Sunday hat

Thu Apr 19 20:18:39 UTC 2012

Bonnie, here is a possible lead. A quick search for the variant "Satan
in his Sunday's best" matches a volume called "The Red Book" in 1820.

http://books.google.com/books?id=llVFAAAAYAAJ&q=%22satan+in%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
The legends of Monkish Historians record sundry visits of his Satanic
Majesty to this world. Sometimes he abandoned his comfortable home in
search of amusement, or weary of monotonous torments, pursued pleasure
in various forms of malicious mischief, and not infrequently, like
other great personages, he made "tours of observation" to collect
materials for an eloquent Message, on his return to the assembled
Senate.

Although French poets and learned Greek professors have described,
with great unction, the amusing arcana of several diabolical
perambulations, the philosophers of our unbelieving days reject these
traditions as apocryphal, -  "La Diable Papefiguiere," and Satan "in
his Sunday's best," will therefore, I fear, avail but little to gain
credit for this narrative, of a certain infernal sporting tour in an
American commonwealth.
[End excerpt]