"got out over their skis"

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 19 21:49:52 UTC 2012

Maybe others have noted this before, but it was new to me when I just read
it online in Institutional Investor:

Building up cash reserves may seem like a no-brainer — who could say no to
virtually free money in a time of uncertainty? — but experts have concerns.
“A lot of people got out over their skis in terms of how they were
investing their cash right before the crisis, and I have some worries again
today,” says Barry Smith, global head of State Street Global Advisors’ cash
business.

http://www.institutionalinvestor.com/Article/3008047/Asset-Management/Will-Governments-Hijack-Corporate-Cash-Stashes?ArticleId=3008047&LS=EMS641353

I see some similar 2010 and 2011 usages in Google.

DanG