Quote: he only lamented, that he had but one life to lose for his country (Nathan Hale 1799)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 22 19:10:36 UTC 2012

My impression was that this is a late decision. Older entries retain the
practice of using the publication date. This is one reason why I
sometimes give three dates in my citations--the date in the diary (if
one can be discerned) or the latest date the diary covers, the date of
publication of first edition (if one cannot be found, but there is
reason to believe the passage is unchanged) and the date of the cited
edition (if different from first edition).

I am not even sure that OED uses double-date-tagging this way--from what
I can see, the date in parentheses is the date of the specific cited
publication that gives an indirect citation to another publication that
was not directly consulted (by the OED editors). So it could be an 1845
reprint of 1699 book that includes a 1683 diary. Then the date is listed
as 1699 (1845), not 1683 (1699).

Perhaps I am mistaken on this count, but this is what I discovered when
I came across the original publications under these circumstances. Pepys
generally gets only one date--of the original diary. Perhaps because
there is still access to MS.

     VS-)