OT: "looked anything like" as hyponegation

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 23 03:10:04 UTC 2012

Of course, to do that Atlanta would need a whole new season, because
they would have to overtake the Miami Heat first. (The Knicks and the
Celtics are, as are the Hawks and the Heat, but there are not enough
games left in the season.) Every division winner is guaranteed home
field advantage, which is why the Celtics are seeded third, even though
the Hawks (and Orlando) have a better record.

Of course, the announcer might have wanted to say "did NOT look anything
like", rather than one of the other two, which is why it's a
hyponegation in the first place. Then, again, when it happens fifteen
times in one year, it's probably safe to say he was not misspeaking (or
had a typo in the printed column or ...).

     VS-)