request for reference

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 23 07:20:44 UTC 2012

IE primer

AZ wrote: <<< Indoeuropean linguistics overview, superficial>>>

WB: The impossible-to-answer question. What is your classmate interested
in? Or WHY would he/she be interested in IE lx specifically? General
survey? What about the broader field of Indo-European Studies, including
also archaeology, culture, religion? The Wikipedia articles seem not too
neophyte-friendly. The briefest of authoritative thumbnail sketches (I have
at hand) would be Calvert Watkins, Indo-European & Indo-Europeans, in the
_American_Heritage_Dictionary_ (pp. xix-xx, 1496-1502, plus IE roots
throughout the dictionary, i.e. my 1969 edition). If this whets your
classmate?s appetite for more, let us know.