References on the History and Origin of Profanity

Dorita Barr angel_of_09 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 23 18:10:20 UTC 2012

Hello all.

I am currently doing a research project on the use of profane words such as ass, bitch, damn, fuck, hell, shit, and piss in Prime-Time television programs. I would like to include information on the history of profane words and their origins, but I am having a difficult time finding articles/works that address where profane words originated from. If you all know of any scholars or references who address the history and origin of profanity, would you please let me know? I'd really appreciate it.