1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 25 03:21:21 UTC 2012

"Bughouse" was pretty old-fashioned in 1947 - which is not to say that
nobody used it. Archie, however, is a teenager.

That, added to the semantic oddity, in this context, of a word meaning
"insane" leads me to suspect that "bughouse" isn't part of the equation.

I'm not sure either that there's room enough  in the balloon, as drawn, to
fit in "me." "I get kind of bughouse" seems so far from what's on the page
that it's no harder to believe that Montana or a saboteur printed exactly
what he meant.

I'm unaware of any exx. of "butthole" in American English in the OED's
(rare) sense of "dead end."  Not that "dead-end" would fit Archie's
context.

The incredibly inconclusive evidence suggests that the 1904 ex. I cited
refers to a hole in a tree trunk.  But as far as I can tell, this meaning
is attested clearly only one time in the history of the printed word.

But what question are we trying to answer?

In context, "butthole" must mean something like "disagreeable."  No problem
there.

Was it ever popular slang?  Evidently never.

How did it get past the editors?  Maybe inattention.

What was Bob Montana thinking?  Can't guess.

Was the strip sabotaged?  Beats me.

Why is there no record of "butthole" 'anus' findable *anywhere* before the
early '50s?  That may be the most interesting question of all.

JL