Question about the Google Groups database

Wed Apr 25 21:51:45 UTC 2012

A question for list members who use the Google Groups database:

Here are two assertions:

1) The dates on messages in Usenet newsgroups are accurate within the
Google Groups database.

2) The dates on website forum messages that are pointed to from within
the Google Groups database are sometimes not reliable. For example, if
a target word or phrase appears in a signature block in a forum
message then the date cannot be trusted. The text in signature blocks
can be altered retroactively in forums.

Do other list members agree (or disagree) with these assertions?

When I access Google Groups the following message is displayed.

[Begin message]
The old Google Groups will be going away soon. Switch to the new Google Groups.
[End message]

I have not tried the new version because I do not know if access to
the archive will be lost. Has someone else used the new version of
Google Groups?

Garson