antedating banjo (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 26 04:40:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: antedating banjo (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> That occurred to me too, but there may have been more than one
> banjer-frailin' Scipio in Maryland.
>
> (I checked the usual news-database suspects for the forms "banjer,"
> "banja," and "bajah" too, but found nothing.)
>
> JL
>
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster: Â  Â  Â  "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
>> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: antedating banjo (UNCLASSIFIED)

>> Clearly he ran away from Maryland in 1747 to the less harsh
>> neighboring province of Pennsylvania, but didn't like it there either
>> and ran away again ten years later. Â (Perhaps this time to avoid
>> being drafted into service in the French and Indian War, when the
>> pacifist Quakers sent their slaves as substitutes.) Â Both Scipios are
>> described as short.
>>
>> Joel
>>
>> At 4/24/2012 02:05 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>> >Not quite so early, but also of interest:
>> >
>> >1757 _Pennsylvania Gazette_ (Phila.) (Nov. 17) 3: Run away from the
>> >Subscriber, living in Chester Town, Kent County, Maryland, some time in
>> >July last, a Negroe man, called Scipio, formerly the Property of Mr.
>> Marcus
>> >Kuhl, of the City of Philadelphia...; he is a little short thick
>> >Fellow...and plays well upon the Banjoe.

>> George's
>> plays

>> >--
>> >"If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the
>> truth."
>> >
>> >------------------------------------------------------------
>> >The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

> --

Well, they all look alike.;-) But, of course, that's simply the way it
is. When I started high school, two problems struck me: 1) how to
learn which students were my classmates, when all white people look
alike; 2) how to keep a straight face while being bombarded with
laugh-inducing noises that I now know were nothing more than ordinary,
European-American, ethnic surnames.

But, seriously, folks, I'm struck by the use of "play _on_" instead of
merely "play." Nowadays, it seems to me, people say "play _a tune on_
the banjo," but only "play the banjo." OTOH, there is a spiritual with
the verse, "Little David, _play on_ your harp."

And yes, it was some time before I flashed on the fact that the "harp"
referred to was not a (mouth-)harp.
--
-Wilson
-----