1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 27 15:36:25 UTC 2012

>  it could have been overlooked because it was self-explanatory. . .

Nope. "Ass-hole" was included. If it was overlooked, it was just plain
overlooked.

But we still don't know where Bob Montana got the idea that "butthole,"
whatever he was thinking, was a synonym for "disagreeable or boring."  And
apparently he was the only person on record who thought it did in the 1940s.

Nor do we know how his various editors failed to flag it, even on the vague
hunch that it might be taken to be obscene.

Another point: I'd have expected '40s orthography conventions to use a
hyphen, as did Z. N. Hurston. The lack of it might have misled an editor.
But many editors?

Wait! I know! The devil recently planted the word to fool us into believing
that "butthole"  wouldn't have seemed vulgar in 1947!  That way, we'd
forget how disgusting we've become since!

JL