OT: German West African colony?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Apr 27 22:04:06 UTC 2012

At 4/27/2012 05:51 PM, victor steinbok wrote:
>Didn't Germany control Namibia as well?

The discussion quoted below was about German West
Africa, which I couldn't equate to modern
countries, not German South West Africa.  Namibia
had been agreed about earlier.

And yes, Germany's treatment of Namibia was
brutal.  Wikipedia says "Exposés followed in the
print media throughout Germany of the Herero
rebellions in 1904 in German South West Africa
(Namibia today) where in military interventions
between 50% to 70% [citation needed] of the
Herero population perished."  Governing in other
German colonies was pernicious as well.  If some
Africans thought treatment under the Germans was
better than that under the Belgians, French, and
English, one can only be awed by how brutal the
latter three must have been.  (Belgium under Leopold is notorious.)

Joel