butt-hole = intestine as sausage casing

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 30 03:19:18 UTC 2012

On Apr 29, 2012, at 10:56 PM, J P Maher wrote:

> Reading "butt" as arse is anachronistic.

I'm not sure I see why, unless the reference occurs pre-19th c.  There are attestations for "butt" 'buttocks, ass' cited in the HDAS back to 1815, and an 1859 lexicon provides an entry for _butt_ glossed as "the buttocks…The word is used in the West in such phrases as "I fell on my butt", "He kick'd my butt".   It's true it probably wasn't used in comic strips in the Civil War era, though, or allowed on TV.  To be sure, "butthole" 'anus' has no entry prior to 1953, but since it's apparently from a collection called _Old Ballads_, it seems reasonable to assume it was around well before then in speech (or at least song).  And if "butt" meant what it's clear it did mean before the 20th c. was even underway, the meaning of "butthole" would be fairly transparent, even if it wasn't readily attested in the 40s.

LH