1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Apr 30 15:06:38 UTC 2012

        I thought it might be helpful to see how people were actually using "butt" in 1947, so I did a search for "butt" or "butts" on April 2, 1947, in Access Newspaper Archive.  After eliminating OCR errors, there were 25 examples found, as follows:

        8 - personal names, usually "Butts."

        8 - butt shingles.  I would not have guessed this to be the most common use.  These were all advertisements and often further specified the type (green butt shingles, square butt shingles, and so forth).

        4 - butt hams or pork butts.  Of these, 2 specified butt hams, 1 specified pork butts, and 1 just said "smoked boneless butts."  Again, these were all advertisements.  In the advertisement for smoked boneless butts, the butts were 59 cents per pound, while beef was 33 cents per pound.

        1 - place name (Butt Creek).

        1 - cigarette butts.  I would have guessed this to be the most common use.  However, this was one of the few uses (other than proper nouns) in which the term was used in editorial as opposed to advertising content.  The text did not say "cigarette butts"; it merely mentioned standalone "butt" and "butts," in a brief discussion of the risk of fire from careless smokers.

        1 - butt of the gun.

        1 - hickory butt fishing rods.

        1 - rhubarb butts (advertisement for rhubarb, promising "no butts").

        This doesn't tell us too much, but I think we can draw some conclusions from it:

        --"Butt" was used with some frequency, but never (in this sample) to mean "buttocks," so people probably were not expecting that meaning when they saw the word in print.  People probably could have made the connection of "butthole" to "anus" with context (since they knew that butt could mean ass, and they knew "asshole"), but they were unlikely to make the jump without context, unless they had heard the term before.

        --In the meat context, people used "butt" to refer to ham, a quality pork meat, rather than low-grade beef, so a contrast with "prime beef" is unlikely.

John Baker