1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Apr 30 15:19:33 UTC 2012

--

My guesses (only guesses):

(1) "Butthole" is there by error or prank, probably substituting for
some more appropriate word/string;

(2) Probably it's a predicate adjective because that more appropriate
word/string is a predicate adjective;

(3) It got by the editors for about the same reason "Rumpole of the
Bailey" got by (cf. the alternative [rejected] title "Arsole of the
Bailey" (^_^)), or for the same reason "bottom hole" in various
applications gets by routinely. (In contrast I suppose "My
butt-hole/rump-hole/bottom-hole itches" would have been problematic.)

-- Doug Wilson