1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 30 16:34:12 UTC 2012

Over the past decade or so, we've seen a significant increase in sales
of "rump steak" and, less frequently, rump roast. You can still see
occasional "Boston butt", but "butt ham" has pretty much disappeared.
One packer that I've noticed actually specializes in "Boston butts"
(they are the original precursor to Canadian Bacon, before packers
started using tenderloins). I'm not sure if beef "rump" was ever "butt",
but, like skirt steak, it used to be "butcher's cut", i.e., the leftover
parts that the butcher would take home after selling all the "good" cuts.

AFAICT rump has always been associated with cows. In the less refined
circles, I usually hear "rump" in place of a "large butt", so there may
be some differentiation there as well. That is, no one is going to say,
"Get your rump over here!" And "rump" rhymes with "hump", so...

     VS-)