more fono-folly

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 30 19:43:58 UTC 2012

As in the case of George Zimmerman, I wasn't in the studio, but I know what
I heard.

CNN reported yesterday on an audiotape recorded at Kent State at the time
of the 1970 shootings.  According to an audio engineer, his machines can
enhance the tape till you hear people speaking.

A survivor is trying to get the case reopened. National Guardsmen were
convicted of wrongdoing. He sent the tape to the FBI, which replied that
nothing was audible.

Back to yesterday.  The helpful audio engineer played the tape for a CNN
journalist as the oscilloscope danced on the screen in vivid blue and
yellow patterns.  Without enhancement, I heard

"SSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSZZZZZZZZSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHMMMOWZZZZZZZZZZZSSSSSSSSSSSSSZZZZZZZMMMM."

Then he played the enhanced tape:

"SSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSZZZZZZZZSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHMMMOWZZZZZZZZZZZSSSSSSSSSSSSSZZZZZZZMMMM."

"Listen again," said the journalist.

(I won't repeat myself.)

But this time there were subtitles, and they were clear as day!  They said,
"Prepare to fire!"  "Get down!" and "Guard fire!"

(Was "Guard fire!"  a recognized National Guard order? Maybe.)

"Listen again." Subtitles.

Experienced journalist:  "I don't know about you, but when I hear that I
get chills!"

Engineer shakes head sadly and only hopes that his investigations will keep
something similar from ever happening again.

More (and less) detail:

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-04-27/us/us_kent-state-shootings-archive-audio_1_alan-canfora-student-protesters-shootings?_s=PM:US

JL