Sacrifice = opportunity cost

Thu Aug 2 01:51:25 UTC 2012

I think the scope runs the gamut from important to trivial. For example, the Olympians may very well have decided to select college X instead of an Ivy League because they wanted to be with a certain coach.

The main point, though, is that this appears to be a semantic change that has probably happened in the last few decades, but the OED, AHD and Wiktionary have not yet picked up on it.

Wiktionary does have a 1964 quote that may be relevant:

“Don’t you break my heart / ’Cause I sacrifice to make you happy.” - "Baby Don’t You Do It" by Marvin Gaye

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA