A Clockwork Orange

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 2 18:51:08 UTC 2012

On Aug 2, 2012, at 2:03 PM, Neal Whitman wrote:

> I always understood "clockwork" to be the modifier and "orange" to be the head, but still pronounced it "a clockwork *orange*". Maybe I was treating it like other food-related compounds, like "apple *pie*" and "strawberry *jam*".
>
> Neal

Or "a Florida orange", "a Valencia orange", "a Jaffa orange", "Macintosh apple", "Empire apple", "New Zealand apple", "Washington State apple", etc., which I pronounce with final stress unless the context is explicitly contrastive. On the other hand, I think I pronounce "navel orange", "juice orange",  "eating apple", etc. with compound stress.  I know this gets complicated ("apple PIE" vs. "APPLE cake", etc.), and I'm not sure what the rules are, for me or anyone else.

LH