Inquiring minds want to know...

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 3 01:09:37 UTC 2012

OK, here's an excerpt from an interview with Rashida Jones (with whom you may be familiar from her role as Amy Poehler's associate on "Parks and Recreation" or her recent appearance on The Daily Show), discussing her new comedy divorce movie "Celeste and Jesse Forever", which she wrote and co-stars in with Andy Samberg (of SNL fame).
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/movies/rashida-jones-writes-a-new-part-for-herself.html

A is Jones, Q is Melena Ryzik, her interviewer; Will [McCormack] is her co-screenwriter.

A. ...[I]f you can figure out how to harness that femininity — there’s something we have that’s so mysterious to men — that if you can figure out how to use that, you’re good to go.

Q. On that note, let’s talk about one of the funniest moments in the movie, when you and Andy take vegetables and other spherical objects and — how can we say it? — get bawdy with them.

A. Pleasure? Have our way with a ChapStick tube? Will and I [masturbate] vegetables when we write together. We go to the farmers market, and we target innocent vegetables and bring them home with us. We do it when we’re bored. It’s pathetic. So why don’t we share that with the world?

I'm just wondering what [masturbate] would have been a useful euphemism for in this context.  Masturbate *with* veggies, maybe, but…  I know, I've led a sheltered life.

LH