A Clockwork Orange

Fri Aug 3 05:28:54 UTC 2012

Intriguing. Thanks Jeff.

Here is some text extracted from a GB copy of the Listener. It appears
to be Anthony Burgess talking:

The Listener: Volume 87
British Broadcasting Corporation - 1972 - Snippet view
[Extracted text]
In 1945, back from the army, I heard an 80-year-old Cockney in a
London pub say that somebody was 'as queer as a clockwork orange'. The
'queer' did not mean homosexual: it meant mad. The phrase intrigued me
with its unlikely fusion of demotic and surrealistic. For nearly
twenty years I wanted to use it as the title of something. During
those twenty years I heard it several times more - in Underground
stations, in pubs, in television plays - but always from aged
Cockneys, never from the young.
[End extracted text]