Quotation mash-up by cartoonist John Martz

Sat Aug 4 18:38:53 UTC 2012

Cartoonist John Martz tweeted a link to his pictorial comment on Jonah
Lehrer's troubles with quotations.

>From the Globe and Mail, August 4, 2012
http://johnmartz.com/globe/comic/bob-dylans-greatest-hits

Martz mashed up fragments from Dylan's oeuvre with famous quotations.
Interestingly, he selected quotes that are usually misattributed
though he may have been unaware of this. Some of these quotes have
been discussed on this list.

[Begin excerpt]
The answer my friend, is that all that is necessary for the triumph of
evil is that good men do nothing.
[End excerpt]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing" is often attributed to Edmund Burke but evidence points to
Charles F. Aked.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/12/04/good-men-do/

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/all_that_is_necessary_for_the_triumph_of_evil_is_that_good_men_do_nothing/

[Begin excerpt]
The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer stuck inside of San
Francisco with the Memphis blues.
[End excerpt]

The well-known comment about winter weather in San Francisco was
probably not spoken by Mark Twain.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/11/30/coldest-winter/

[Begin excerpt]
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people
some of the time, you dressed so fine, threw the bums a dime, in your
prime.
[End excerpt]

I think Professor of History David Parker found the earliest
attribution to Lincoln currently known for the referenced quotation:
October 29, 1886 in the Milwaukee Daily Journal.

http://anotherhistoryblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/fooling-people-earlier.html

Garson