"staged"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 7 12:40:12 UTC 2012

I thought of this, but even "stage-managed" seems a little too strong:

"Stories were stage-managed. For example, journalists were invited...."

To me, to "stage-manage" the landing for the press would rule out fake
tanks, but it would imply, say, specially impressive but unnecessary
activity where the journalists would be sure to see it. It implies
manipulation of the actual story ("event") rather than the way the event
will be reported, which is clearly what the writer wants to say.

In this particular case, the whole idea seems to be confused. What is meant
is something like,

"In various ways, journalists were encouraged by the military to report
stories in the most favorable light."

But either way, "staged" and "stage-managed" are not usually synonymous.

My 2011 post showed a blurring between "staged" and "posed."  As indicated
there, the claim that the Iwo Jima photo was either "posed" or "staged" or
 for the camera is simply false.  (It irritates me because that
quasi-conspiratorial claim has been frequently repeated and accepted as
true.)

JL