"hero"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 10 13:18:18 UTC 2012

An eyewitness of the Oak Creek shootings tells CNN that the gunman was a
"coward" but the victims were "heroes"
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/09/justice/wisconsin-temple-shooting/index.html?eref=edition

"Simply put, our families -- his mother, who left behind two beautiful boys
... our father, the four other victims, the people who were shot and are in
the hospital, the police officer who did his job -- they are heroes," he
said. "They were living the American dream."

The inclusion of the policeman may make this ex. less diagnostic in the
eyes of some, but the victims are described as "heroes" in any case.

It seems that people are struggling for a word that they can make mean
"innocent victim of  mass violence, for whom we should mourn," and English
has no such word.

JL