"finesse", the adjective

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Aug 10 15:05:09 UTC 2012

At 8/10/2012 10:37 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>But as noted, the meaning is entirely different--power teams or
>offenses may not be powerful, or vice versa, since "power" here,
>like "finesse", refers to a style of play, not the effectiveness of
>the playing.

I agree the meaning is different -- I meant only that I would wonder
whether the writer actually meant, and should have used, "powerful".

There isn't any "finesseful" yet, but perhaps there should
be.  (Which unlike "powerful" would be unlikely to transfer to "the
effectiveness of playing".)  Or "finessish"?

Joel