In the NYT, Jon Grinspan...

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 11 04:12:06 UTC 2012

Wainie, weedie, weakie.
Dan Goncharoff wrote: <<<Does anyone actually know how Latin was
pronounced? By the ancient Romans, I mean... DanG>>>
WB: With all due respect. DanG it! If I had a nickel for every time a
student asked me that, I could have retired a lot earlier. At least now we
can scold, "Go look it up in Wikipedia." Pretty good survey & refs; could
nitpick with such exacting phonetic interpretations, but okay. After all,
Latin was a language far across the sea. First it killed the Romans, and
now it's killing me.