kosher = according to prescribed rules

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Aug 11 22:56:16 UTC 2012

I can take "kosher" as "according to the prescribed (approved,
sanctioned) rules", which can be dietary, moral, or legal.  But
perhaps the house where four Muslims live should be described as a
"halal" frat house, where alcohol is prohibited.  (It's kosher for
Jews to drink.)  And the existence of a frat house where there's no
alcohol is certainly news.

Joel