"Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo!"

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 13 16:57:10 UTC 2012

On 8/13/12 12:18 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
> At 8/13/2012 07:48 AM, Charles C Doyle wrote:
>> In the movie "Airplane" every time a Black person speaks, subtitles
>> appear on the screen.
>
> Is that all the time every black person speaks, or only for the two
> jiving black passengers in one scene?  I don't recall subtitles when
> co-pilot Kareem Abdul-Jabbar speaks.

I remember some subtitles, and, also, the little old (white) lady
providing simultaneous translation, with the explanation "I speak jive".

There was a whole nother set of gags for Abdul-Jabbar (as I recall,
passengers thinking the pilot was the basketball player).

Alice Faber                                       faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                            tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                               fax (203) 865-8963