"Mutt" in Indian religion or law; not in OED

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 13 18:12:09 UTC 2012

JB wrote: <<<I did not mean to presume or pretend any association of the
Hindu-derived "mutt" with the dog, racehorse, or foolish one.  Rather, I
was merely noting that it appeared a number of times in reference to an
Indian or Hindu something, a something which I was not inclined to uncover
the meaning of.  Superficially, it seemed to be a religious building or
personage or organization, perhaps all three.  A la abbot, abbotcy/abbacy.
 And I wondered whether it belonged in the OED.>>>
WB: O-o-o-o-k-a-a-ay. Actually MY imagination had been meandering towards a
longshot Anglo-Hindi connection for mutt when you posted the above. I don't
really think your P&P, so please don't get too upset.